Broughton House, Home for Ex-Service Men & Women, Park Lane, Salford, M7 4JD. Registered Charity No: 227864
© Broughton House 2012. Made With Serif WebPlus.
Charlie Fox - The first casualty to be admitted to Broughton House gets lifted through the front doors and into the Home by stretcher - 4 August 1916.
Staff gather on the main steps to the front entrance of Broughton House for a photo opportunity when Earl Haig visits - November 1922.
Back in 1916 patients didn’t have the luxury of single en-suite rooms. The Home had one large ward which facilitated all patients.
In 1916 the number of casualties of the Great War both on Land and at Sea requiring hospitalisation had somewhat increased. The 17th Earl of Derby aware of the casualties suffered by East Lancashire Units and the lack of local hospital beds to meet their needs asked the Lord Mayor of Manchester (Thomas Smethurst) to launch an Appeal through the Districts surrounding Manchester to raise money to provide much needed care facilities.
By May 1916, the Appeal raised £100,000. Five properties were purchased and the task to setup the temporary hospital accommodation was given to Colonel Sir William Coates of the East Lancashire Red Cross, a Manchester GP. Through his endeavours and leadership the hospitals opened as the ‘East Lancashire Homes for Disabled Sailors and Soldiers’. Broughton House the only remaining property opened its doors on 4th August 1916 to receive casualties and to date has provided care to in excess of 8,000 Men and Women of the Armed Forces and the Merchant Navy.
With the founding of the NHS in 1948 the Home remained a Registered Charity. Today it carries on as established by its Founders - caring for those in need irrespective of ability to pay who have served in the Armed Forces or the Merchant Navy. And it is to tomorrow that Broughton House focuses its main effort in order to meet the needs of the current and future generations of men and women who one day may call upon our services.
Our future residents are those survivors of the 2nd World War, those who fought on the frozen hills of Korea to the infested jungles of Malaya and Borneo, through the African Bush to the streets of Aden, Cyprus and Northern Ireland, The Falkland Islands and those who attempted to bring peace and stability to the Balkans, Kuwait, Iraq and most recently to the struggle to nation build on the plains of Helmand Province Afghanistan. These are the cohorts who in their hour of need may call upon Broughton House and we must be prepared to assist.
Broughton House has followed the call of the bugle for 96 yrs. The forward thinking of the 17th Earl of Derby and that of our first Chairman Colonel Sir William Coates and all of those who have supported and guided the Home through challenging times drives our desire to ensure that we are ’fit for purpose’ for the future and all that it may bring.
Broughton House today